Sunday, November 29, 2009

Pumpkin Pie with Pecan Streusel

For Thanksgiving this year I made the same pie I made last year, which for me is combining the best of both worlds of thanksgiving pies. The pumpkin pie with pecan streusel is basically a pumpkin pie mixed with a pecan pie, before this pie I wasn't much of a pumpkin pie fan. My friend Randy had a huge orphans Thanksgiving and I brought this pie to it. I wish I would have taken photos of all the food at this dinner, because I have a lot of friends that are amazing cooks and really enjoy food. All the food was delicious, and it was all so beautiful!

The pie recipe comes from a book called "the all-american dessert book" by Nancy Baggett, though the pie crust I used was not from this recipe. When I went home to visit my family in the fall, my dad had made an apple pie and the crust he made was really good. So for this pie I asked my dad to send me his recipe for the pie crust. This was actually my first time making my own roll out crust, and it was kind of hard, but not as hard as I thought it would be. I did follow the tips of rolling out the crust from Nancy Baggett's book, and I'm glad I did. She tells you to roll out the dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper, and I think that was the greatest tip I've learned so far when it comes to dough. When I had made the roll out cookies I had problems with them sticking to my rolling pin and the counter, so the parchment idea is pretty genius to me! Pie crust to me had always seemed tricky, but people are a lot more impressed with your baked goods if you make your own crust, so I had to do it. I was a little afraid that I added too much water to the dough, but after it chilled for a day in the fridge, the excess water worked itself into the dough, and it probably ended up being just the right amount.

Pie Crust - Doug Medin (my dad)

1 cup all - purpose flour
1/3 cup Wondra quick mixing flour (if you live in nyc, you can find it at the food emporium)
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter flavored crisco - cubed (I used regular flavor)
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cubed
1/4 cup ice water
2 tablespoons ice water as needed (I ended up using 1 tablespoon, though this is when I felt there might be too much water)

Recipe can be made with all butter.

Mix both flours, salt and sugar in bowl. Crisco is cut in with pastry blender or fork first to keep butter from soaking into the flour. Butter is cut into flour until butter balls are the size of small peas. Add water. The extra water is added until dough holds together without crumbling.
Fraisage (smear golf ball sized dough lumps onto plastic wrap to flatten butter balls into streaks) dough twice in cross directions.
Form dough into 1" thick hockey puck, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

To Roll out the pastry - The All-American Dessert Book - Nancy Baggett

Lightly grease a 9 1/2" deep pie plate and coat with non-stick spray. If the doug is cold and stiff, let it warm up until slightly pliable but still cool to the touch. Generously dust it on both sides with flour. Roll out the dough between large sheets of baking parchment into a 13 1/2" round. Occasionally check the underside of the dough during rolling and smooth out any wrinkles. Gently peel off the top sheet of paper, then pat it back into place. Flip the dough; peel off the bottom sheet. Center the round, dough side down, in the pie plate. Gently peel off the remaining paper. Smooth the dough into the plate and patch any tears, if necessary. Trim the overhang to 3/4". Fold the overhang under to form an edge that rests on the lip of the plate. Finish by fluting with your fingers or pressing into the edge with the tines of the fork. Prick the pastry all over with a fork. Loosely cover the pastry and place in the freezer while you make the filling.



Pumkin Pie with Pecan Streusel - The All-American Dessert Book - Nancy Baggett

Filling:
4 large eggs
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 15 ounce can solid pack pumpkin
1/2 cup half and half or light cream

Pecan Streusel:
1 1/4 cups chopped pecans
2/3 cup finely crushed corn flakes
6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
6 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

To make filling:
In a large bowl, thoroughly whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is smooth. Add the pumpkin and half and half, stirring until well blended. Turn out the filling into the pastry. Set the pie on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the filling looks set except in the center third of the pie, which should jiggle when the plate is shaken.



Meanwhile, to make the streusel:
In a medium bowl, using your fingertips or two forks, mix together the pecans, corn flakes, brown sugar, flour, and salt until well blended. Add the butter and continue mixing until evenly incorporated. Evenly sprinkle the streusel over the partially set filling. Reposition the rack in the middle of the oven. Continue baking for 20-25 minutes longer, or until the streusel is golden brown and very crisp. transfer the pie to a wire rack. Let cool, then refrigerate until the pumpkin filling sets, at least 45 minutes, before serving.

Serve at room temperature or lightly chilled. The pie will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.



No comments:

Post a Comment